APL solves complex research, engineering, and analytical problems that present critical challenges to our nation. As the nation’s largest university affiliated research center, we provide U.S. government agencies with deep expertise in specialized fields to support national priorities and technology development programs. We also serve as independent trusted technical agents to the government, providing continuity for highly complex, multigenerational technology development systems.
Collaboration is key to our success. We pull specialized talent from across the Lab into collaborative teams that find affordable and effective solutions to some of the nation’s toughest challenges.
Our Core Competencies
As a university affiliated research center, we maintain robust engineering and research and development expertise in eight core competencies to meet the needs of our government sponsors.
Our core competencies are:
- Strategic systems test and evaluation
- Submarine security and survivability
- Space science and engineering
- Combat systems and guided missiles
- Air and missile defense and power projection
- Information technology (C4ISR/IO)
- Simulation, modeling, and operations analysis
- Mission-related research, development, test and evaluation
Our scientists, engineers, and analysts serve as trusted advisors and technical experts to the government, ensuring the reliability of complex technologies that safeguard our nation’s security and advance the frontiers of space. We also maintain independent research and development programs that pioneer and explore emerging technologies and concepts to address future national priorities.