Back cover photo

The Research Center was established on 1 April 1947 with a charter to conduct research and development in the five areas shown in the upper left. In 1979, the Center was named in honor of Milton S. Eisenhower (photograph in the middle), President of The Johns Hopkins University during 1956-67 and 1971-72. In a major reorganization of APL Departments in 21996, the Center was restructured, enhanced - both in personnel and capabilities - and renamed the "Milton S. Eisenhower Research and Technology Development Center" with the prominent R&D areas shown in the lower right. Throughout the past 50 years, the Center's emphasis has reflected the changing needs of the Laboratory. (Illustration by Kenneth R. Moscati.)