What is Cloud Computing?
As a Project Manager, you're increasingly likely to encounter the need to use cloud computing in your project. But what is the cloud? How many different types of "clouds" are there, and which type is best for your project? What do you need to know about the cloud to effectively plan, execute and monitor projects that involve clouds?
Cloud Computing 101, written by JHU/APL Information Operations Sepcialist, Patrick Allen, introduces Project Managers and other stakeholders to the basics of cloud computing: What it is, what makes it different from legacy systems, and what questions to ask to ensure that your project maximizes the advantages of the cloud while minimizing the downside risks and costs.
This book helps you answer the types of questions Project Managers need to ask about the cloud:
- What type of cloud do I need for my project?
- How many types of clouds are there, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
- How do I arrange for appropriate cloud services for my project?
- What questions should I ask of a cloud service provider?
- How do I protect the security of my data in a cloud?
- How do I map my legacy-based project's database to a cloud-based data structure?
Written in clear, accessible language, Cloud Computing 101 helps you cut through the jargon and hype surrounding clouds and cloud-based services. It will enable you to distinguish between the different types of clouds, service models, deployment models, and their relative strengths and limitations. By the end of this book, you will be able to:
- Be conversant in cloud terminology
- Distinguish between different types of clouds
- Distinguish between the various cloud service models and cloud deployment models
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of each type of cloud
- Enable your organization to effectively leverage cloud-based capabilities
- Effectively plan, execute and monitor a project that uses a cloud
Cloud Computing 101 also maps key topics to the process groups and knowledge areas in the PMBOK® Guide, allowing you to easily apply the accepted standards of project management to cloud computing.